Saturday 26 October 2013

Day out at the zoo

Hi everyone

I went to Whipsnade zoo today with my dad, both of us had never been there before. It was a little expensive but worth it, the zoo is large and takes quite a long time to walk around. The guide book and map were rather helpful especially as the zoo does cover a large area and there are different ways you can walk around.

As I study a virus found in elephants, I really wanted to see the new baby elephant that they have, adorable:
I thought the elephant enclosure was excellent, with both inside and outside areas, with plenty of enrichment items. 
I am very impressed at all the enclosures at this zoo, the new giraffe heights recently opened, I thought was a lovely touch, enabling giraffe viewing from a different level. Whipsnade has a variety of animals which I had either not seen before (and I have been to quite a few zoos) or that I have seen very rarely. One specific example is the wolverine, I was very impressed with how this enclosure is set out as it enables viewing of a quite secretive animal, which was a joy as I have only seen one once before.
It was nice to see a pride of African lions, as the zoos I have been to tend to have Asian lions, I enjoyed how close you could see them, there was also a display of lion related items with a member of staff to explain them.
 The cheetah exhibit was also a nice experience, it is found in the passage through Asia section, the exhibit looked nice and clean, and the cheetahs seemed happy and content. The covered viewing area, contains very good information boards, and on the way out of the cheetah area there are some games for children (and adults). The cheetah family sat proud and it was nice to see such a nice family.
There are also a variety of other activities to do, such as there is a steam train, play area for children, shops and a cafe. The discovery centre was also very good, with a variety of repties, fish and amphibians. We ate at the cafe, I had spaghetti and my dad had fish cakes, both of which were very nice. Overall we both enjoyed our day out at the zoo.

Hope you all had a nice day too :)

Find me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Giddypig1987

No comments:

Post a Comment